Christian Copyright Licensing International (CCLI) enables real-time access to licensed Christian music while easing the burden of administration in the many complex issues related to copyright. CCLI licences are a simple alternative to seeking direct permission from each copyright owner.
Church Copyright Licence (CCL) permits licence holders to:
- Project or print out the words and music of worship songs and hymns in CCLI catalogues.
- Record services on behalf of those unable to attend (not stream).
- Create custom musical arrangements where no published version exists.
- Create custom translations of song lyrics where no published version exists.
Church Video Licence (CVL) covers a huge range of films and many major studios, including: Fox, Paramount, Universal, DreamWorks, Focus Features and NBC/Universal Television. CVL permits licence holders to:
- Publicly show film scenes during services.
- Publicly show full-length films during church programs & social activities.
Music Reproduction Licence (MRL) permits licence holders to:
- Photocopy or scan print music from CCLI publications catalogues.
- Share sheet music digitally—such as by emailing PDFs to others or by downloading music from a file-sharing app.
- Make additional copies of music obtained from the Song Select Subscription Service*.
NB: Song Select is not a license, but Worship Arts manage a group purchase of Advanced category subscription plans as part of Group Licensing Agreements. For more information on Song Select please see Resources page. (link to our Resources page)
Public Performance License (PPL) permits licence holders to:
This permits license holders to publicly perform music during on-site activities other than worship services (i.e. corps programs, activities and special events).
NB: This licence does not include performing music at locations other than your licensed mission location – see One Music CG Licence.
|A CCLI Streaming License is an additional requirement for locations who live stream their worship services online. It is currently not available for group purchase and should be directly arranged/renewed with CCLI. For more information on how to do this please contact Worship Arts.|
For T&C and more info on these licenses see https://au.ccli.com/copyright-licences/#church-licences
Big Movie Studio Licence (BMSL) permits churches to show films and film clips from the production studios not covered by the CVL. For corps (churches and worship centres), this is the only church licence that covers Disney, Roadshow, Sony, Marvel, Warner Bros, Pixar, eOne, Transmission and more. For full details read more on the official site:
OneMusic Australia is a recent joint initiative between APRA AMCOS and PPCA. The two music rights bodies have come together to provide easy legal access for music customers.
Worship Arts has continued to work closely with OneMusic through this process. Recently, OneMusic has transferred administration of their Church Public Performance Licensing to CCLI, to be more easily managed alongside other church specific licenses – this is now the PPL described above and will be group managed for all corps expressions requiring any public use of music.
However, due to other changes in licensing structures, some locations and groups may also now require additional licences:
- Community Group Performance Licence – this permits performance groups to publicly perform music at locations outside their mission expression location.
- Background Music Licence (Retail) - Corps-managed Family Stores should hold this licence in order to publicly play background music in their premises. Please contact Worship Arts if you are not sure your Family Store has been included in the group arrangement.
Other Licences and Exceptions:
Not everything in the new Salvation Army Songbook is covered through CCLI, TSA or is Public Domain. Coverage for the projection of lyrics and music for a number of pieces like I, the Lord of Sea and Sky is covered by OneLicence.net and managed by Worship Arts.
If you cannot find a piece that you are using on CCLI’s Online Reporting Tool, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will seek clearance for you.